Big Blue Trunk
If you read Our Story, you'll recall meeting a little girl who loved making stuff; a DIYer at heart she was always looking for ways to bring beauty to everyday life...she grew up, and after several years in corporate life and many fun adventures, she's now living her dream with the Big Blue Trunk.
'Big Blue Trunk' because her favourite colour is blue, and she does have a soft spot for trunks of all kinds, especially those filled with treasure. And Big sounded nice in front of Blue Trunk - so there you have it. Big Blue Trunk.
It was fitting that her brand mascot would be an actual Big Blue Trunk. So the hunt for a trunk began - something old, with a story to tell. She chanced upon a young woman who was selling her grandmother's vintage trunk from the '50s. It was perfect!
She wanted the trunk to represent the ocean - smell the salty breeze, hear the crashing waves and feel the wet sand. All shades of blue, some of green and a touch of gold. A few hours of work with the fantastic Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® range, and her Big Blue Trunk was ready!
Here is how she and her team refurbished the trunk:
- The varnish and wood on the trunk was chipping in places, so they used the Annie Sloan sanding pads to take off all the flaking bits and smoothen the surfaces.
- They filled the cracks and holes with wood filler and then sanded it down.
- Since the trunk was very old, they gave it a quick coat of water-based primer to prevent stains from coming through the paint in the future.
- Then it was time to paint - and Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® range offered the most beautiful shades of blues and greens. A coat of Napoleonic blue on the outside, followed by dry brushing Greek Blue, Louis Blue and Provence on top. All the colours were blended together with water. Once this base coat dried, they did another layer of dry brushing with Greek Blue and Provence.
- The inside was painted a bright and happy English Yellow.
- To give the trunk a textured finish with brush stroked and ridges, they used the Annie Sloan Pure Bristle Brush Small.
- To seal the paint, they used Annie Sloan Clear Chalk Paint, applied with the Annie Sloan Wax Brush.
- The final finish was given by dry brushing Annie Sloan Gilding Wax in Bright Gold on all the metal fittings, corners and edges of the trunk.
If you would like to learn the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® method, register for one of our Workshops.